Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Today's Review: The Devil Inside


You know what I've been thinking lately? That we really need another found footage horror movie, especially one about exorcism.

Sorry, I don't know what came over me there. It's like I was possessed.

Yes, The Devil Inside is one of those kind of movies. Plucky film maker decides to document everything on their stupid journey, even when shit starts getting completely freaky. "Run for my life? Not without my camera!" This time we follow a young lady named Isabella, who is intent on finding out about exorcisms after learning her mother committed triple homicide while one was being performed on her. Hmm. There's no way this could go wrong.

On her journey she meets a couple of priests who are like cool undercover religious justice cops, performing exorcisms that have been passed over by the Vatican. After a particularly convincing and successful exorcism on their part, they decide to have a crack at Isabella's mother, with unsurprisingly horrific consequences.

There's really not much to say about this movie. It's the same as all the other found footage crap out there. Cameras are set up in obscure places, the characters' conviction to filming is almost as unbelievable as their acting. The possessed people are pretty accurate though, if you're going by every other exorcism movie that is. Flailing limbs, contorting spines? Check. Silly voices speaking different languages? Check. A blowjob reference for no apparent reason? Damn straight. I don't see how anyone finds this stuff scary. Sure, it may have been freaky in the 70s, but nowadays it all just looks a bit silly.

The Devil Inside me is just not good. It's bland, uninspiring, and I had pretty much given up on it by the end. I see the filmmakers shared my sentiment, because they didn't even bother making a proper ending.

My rating: 1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment