Saturday 17 December 2011

Today's Review: Not Being Able To Review A Movie Properly

I watched Kill List last night. It's a British movie that bridges the gangster, thriller and horror genres. It's been generally well received, some calling it the best British movie in years, so of course it would be great for me to review on this blog.

Trouble is, I'm currently addicted to Skyrim, so any movie I watch is played simultaneously. Let me tell you, Kill List is not a movie that you half want to pay attention to. I didn't get it at all. There are twists and turns along the way, nothing is really explained, and a lot is left to interpretation. But when you've also been killing dragons and performing quests while watching, it's hard to figure out what's going on.

This is the problem with some movies. While some seem to really enjoy them, I find myself struggling to relate to what's going on. I can work out the most complicated of twists in movies, but still there are a few that leave me baffled. I did enjoy what I saw of Kill List, but I felt I could have taken away a lot more if I'd paid full attention. So obviously I can't review it. What would I say? "This movie is apparently really good, but I didn't understand it"? That's not a review, it's more of a rambling Facebook status admitting my stupidity.

So yes, while I do watch the vast majority of movies released, there are some that I don't review for various reasons. It could be because they left me baffled, it could be because I couldn't think of much to say about them, it could be because I'm still in awe at how terribly awful it is. But when it happens, it's not good. I need to review one thing a day, often a movie is the one thing in my day that is different from normal routine. Without being able to review it I'm subjected to thinking of something random, like this review right here. And that's no fun at all.

My rating: 0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment