Saturday 19 December 2015

Today's Review: Malt-O-Meal Marshmallow Mateys


Malt-O-Meal provide some fairly decent off brand American cereals that I've actually seen in a few places in the UK. I've tried their own versions of Cap'n Crunch and Apple Jacks, as well as the chocolate variety of this cereal, but I figured it was time to try out Marshmallow Mateys, their answer to Lucky Charms.

They look pretty similar, apart from the cereal pieces that are shaped like little anchors (that's pretty cute). The marshmallow pieces have different shapes, sure, but they're all small and brightly coloured. I went into this with a fair idea of how Lucky Charms taste, although I haven't had a box in a while, and these just don't seem as good. The marshmallows are nice and sweet, but a little on the soft side, and there aren't quite as many as I'd hoped. The cereal is crunchy, and tastes pretty good when combined with the milk and marshmallow, but it doesn't really stand out. It's just pretty bland, and overall it was just an average bowl of cereal. As much as I don't remember possessing some kind of crazy love for Lucky Charms, I still think they're better than these. Marshmallow Mateys may be enough to scratch the itch slightly while you mortgage your house to buy a box of Lucky Charms, but they're not particularly great.

My rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment