Thursday 19 January 2012

Today's Review: Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey


I absolutely love Sesame Street. If I were to become a celebrity, the high point of my career would not be winning an Oscar or an Emmy, it would be appearing on Sesame Street. I've watched it since I was little, and it still holds the same charm now as it did all those years ago. It's a pure loving and learning experience, and while there are a whole host of characters that are massively loveable, there is no doubt that Elmo has his own kind of special charm.

But who is the man behind Elmo? Kevin Clash, that's who. He operates the puppet, provides the voice, and built the character up himself after the puppet was discarded by one of his co-workers. How do I know this? Because I've watched Being Elmo.

This documentary follows the life of Kevin Clash, from his obsession with puppet shows as a child to the pursuit of his dream, to become a puppeteer himself. Along the way we see a man who is so involved with his work, who has had this passion for a lifetime, and has never given up. The way Kevin can take a puppet and convey emotions so convincingly with a piece of cloth and some plastic eyes is truly amazing.

Being Elmo is a special kind of documentary. While most might deal with pressin issues, this one simply focuses on the character that has brought happiness to millions of children, and has become an icon over the years. It's an inspiring film, as we clips of Kevin Clash's parents recalling when he first exhibited his talent for puppetry, and the unwavering support they gave him, we see clips of Kevin himself meeting with his idols and proving himself to have what it takes to make it to the big leagues. While it was a little short, I couldn't take my eyes off the screen for the full 75 minutes. If you're a fan of Elmo, this is a must see.

My rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment