Wednesday 22 February 2012

Today's Review: Trespass


Hey, look, it's Nicholas Cage. I sure haven't seen him around in a while... Yes, the Cage is back in another mediocre offering. This time it's Trespass, a psychological thriller that is only really psychological in the way that it will drive you crazy before the end.

Mr. Cage plays a fast talking business man named Kyle, as evidenced by the opening scene in which he talks fast about business while driving his car. I couldn't quite make out everything he was saying, and I thought there would be important plot points contained therein, so I had to turn on the subtitles and read a fast paced one-sided conversation about diamonds. He drives home to his wife Sarah, played by Nicole Kidman, and his daughter, Avery, but before long his home is raided by armed thugs demanding to know where all the diamonds are. Why this movie is called Trespass and not Armed Robbery, I don't know.

Anyway, Kyle starts to try and negotiate with the guys holding guns to his face, and as tensions rise there are several twists and turns revealed, and secrets about the characters uncovered. Why do the robbers know so much about the victims? What secrets are the family members hiding from each other? Why does each of the robbers have a completely different material over their face? I guess that's so you can tell their flat characters apart, but it's still hard to figure out who's playing it straight, especially as I soon found out that the subtitles kept misspelling things, so I couldn't even trust them anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I like a good twist as much as the next person, but when there's a twist every damn five minutes it gets a bit tiring. The movie is way too fast paced, and the characters just aren't interesting or convincing enough to keep up with it. It's hard to empathise with the family when they all act like idiots, and it's hard to find the bad guys threatening when they keep squabbling amongst themselves.

I thought Trespass was going to be quite good when I saw the trailer, so I guess they did a good job on that, but the finished product is just too much of a mess. Perhaps if there were less twists and turns throughout the whole thing there could have been a decent story in here, but by the end I just didn't really care about it anymore.

My rating: 1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment