Monday 30 June 2014

Today's Review: Omani Halwa


What is this gelatinous blob? Why, it's Omani halwa, and apparently it's a delicacy. Halwa literally translates to "sweet", and in an upwards of 50 degree heat that renders chocolate melted and useless, halwa is a long lasting snack that Omanis love to eat. Recipes vary around the country, but ingredients include eggs, sugar, corn flour and fat, with spices such as cardamom and saffron thrown in, along with a dash of rosewater. My dad brought this batch of halwa back from Oman for me, so I'm not exactly sure what went into it, but I do know that I wasn't too fond of the stuff I tried last time I was over there. But hey, time to tuck in.


I ripped off a small corner, and even that was a bit much for me. This stuff has the consistency of jelly, although stickier. Taking a bite, however, reveals lots of bits and pieces that didn't exactly thrill me. But hey, that's what you get when you throw a bunch of spices into a gelatinous blob. What you also get is a very overwhelming flavour. There's certainly a hint of sweetness in there, but there are also many different other tastes fighting for supremacy, and my tastebuds just couldn't handle it. When I was last in Oman, I was served halwa with coffee as an appetiser for a meal, and indeed, the Omani coffee is also very strong and bitter, so I guess it's just a case of different tastes in different cultures. I can get on board with most foods, but this one was not for me. I can't even get through that small piece, let alone the whole box. But if any of you foodie bloggers out there want to give it a go, I'll be happy to send you some. 

My rating: 0/5


1 comment: