Sunday 13 March 2016

Today's Review: Butterkist Hot Cross Bun Popcorn


Looks like I'm going hot cross bun mad, three Easter themed reviews in a row. This is a little different though, it's a hot cross bun flavoured popcorn from Butterkist, who seem to be getting pretty comfortable with churning out seasonal flavours. I wasn't expecting a whole lot from this after being somewhat disgusted by their winter gingerbread offering, but hey, that's what I'm here for, to try these things out and see whether they're worth spending money on or if they'll make you want to vomit. So in the name of science, I shoved some hot cross bun popcorn in my face.

I thought I'd regret it as soon as the stuff hit my tongue, I was greeted with quite a strong hit of spice, which was pretty similar to the stuff put in the gingerbread popcorn. But as the rest of the ingredients caught up I found it wasn't too bad. The spice is there, sure, and it's quite a large part of the overall flavour, but there's a nice sweetness underneath that really mellows it out. I wouldn't say this tastes exactly like a hot cross bun, but it does hit some of the right buttons in terms of elements at play. There's no real fruitiness to speak of, and the spice does get overwhelming some of the time, but it's a much better balance of flavours than the gingerbread flavour, which I had to stop eating at several points through the bag. This is a neat attempt at a seasonal flavour, and while it's not great, it's a good offering, and I hope Butterkist carry on the trend in the future.

My rating: 3/5

1 comment:

  1. I had to throw the gingerbread away, utterly vile. I posted my review yesterday and thought much the same as you tbf, kind of tasted like sweet mixed peel, not awful but not great either

    ReplyDelete