Sunday 17 April 2016

Today's Review: Swizzels Fruity Pops


Ever had a Fruity Pop? Of course you have, Even if you've never made the conscious decision to buy one, even if your parents never bought one for you, chances are you were offered one as a kid by a barber, doctor or some such. Do doctors still give out lollipops? Am I that old? Fruity Pops are an enduring classic, a Swizzels staple that I'm pretty sure everyone has tried at some point. But I figured it was time to look back at them with my review cap on to figure out if they're as good as we all think they are.

These come in four great flavours: yellow, orange, red and purple. I assume they're meant to correspond to fruits like coloured sweets regularly do, and for the most part they do taste like them. These are very sweet lollipops, they don't contain as clean, distinct flavours as you'd find in Chupa Chups varieties, but they do provide a sugary, fruity flavour that is very addictive and surprisingly juicy. If I have one it's very hard not to seek out another after, every flavour is great and I've never passed up on one.

There is a problem though, although it lies not with the lolly itself, but with the stick. It's made of paper, and for something that you're putting in your mouth for extended periods of time, paper is not a good material to use. It's fine at first, supporting the lolly nicely, but as the sucking continues and the stick gets wetter, it starts to flake and come apart. Spend too long mulling over a Fruity Pop and you run the risk of getting pieces of stick in your mouth, which is entirely unpleasant. I don't know how this design flaw has continued, perhaps it's the best way to keep costs down, but it puts a big damper on an otherwise great lollipop. Still, it's another excuse to munch your way through a Fruity Pop as fast as possible, and the food part is still great, so I won't begrudge the stick all that much. They should probably sort it out, it stops me from giving these things a perfect rating.

My rating: 4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment