Sunday 21 August 2011

Today's Review: Tesco Finest Raspberry White Chocolate And Almond Bombes



Another leisurely visit to the reduced section the other day allowed me to stumble upon a cornucopia of dessert delights. I quickly grabbed up a couple of choux buns, and was eyeing up the Bramley apple crumble when a curious item caught my eye. You know when something's in the Tesco Finest packaging it's always going to be a bit of a strain on your wallet. I'm sure it's only stylised as "Finest*" because there's some small print linked to the asterisk that states only wealthy people need apply.

Perhaps I'm exaggerating here, but Finest stuff is still expensive enough to make me stay away most of the time. But these things were half price, only £1.50, and they looked so good I have to give them a go. I assume they're called "bombes" because French words sound cool. Eating just a "bomb" would sound a lot less sexy, and of course I'd rather my food be called a "bombe" than a "giant pus-filled spot looking thing". Anyway, calling it a "bombe" gives the impression that it will be like explosive sex in your mouth, except instead of all the strange bodily juices you just get chocolate and raspberries. I guess I had high hopes for this thing.

Well it didn't disappoint me. One thing that was putting me off was the almond aspect. I'm not an almond fan, but to my surprise I couldn't really detect much almond at all. The dessert is basically a flan style base topped with a massive ball of raspberry and chocolate mousse. I guess the almond part is in the base, and it was a nice little addition, but the mousse is where the magic really happened. It was melt-in-the-mouth, it was smooth, and it tasted so good. I guess there is a reason they call it "Finest" after all. This is the kind of thing you'd see in a fancy restaurant for about £5 each or some other ridiculous price. Top marks for presentation, but good luck getting it home in one piece. Still, the packaging held up well to being shoved in a bag with other and taken to the park for a while, so it's good enough for me.

My rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment