Sunday 29 April 2012

Today's Review: Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol


There have been four Mission: Impossible movies over the span of 16 years, and I can't say I've kept up to date with them. I tried to catch up before watching this one, but I only got as far as the first. Needless to say the leap in the technology and gadgets they use was pretty huge.

Ghost Protocol picks up some time after the third movie, with some characters that I didn't know reuniting with Ethan Hunt to embark on a new IMF mission. Before long, however, things get complicated, and Ethan and his team are cut off from any assistance and forced to use anything they can gather in order to stop a crazy bad guy from launching nukes all over the place.

Compared to other spy movies of late, I was quite pleasantly surprised to find that the plot of Ghost Protocol was quite simple, yet effective. Of course, there are a few twists and turns along the way, but it's not complex enough that you'll get lost, and the focus is mostly on the action sequences and gadgets. Speaking of which, I know technology has vastly improved since 1996, but some of the tools these guys use are pretty ridiculous. It's all in the name of fun though, and the gadget sequences are great at keeping the suspense up. They certainly kept me entertained.

Ghost Protocol is, in all, a very stylish movie. The characters and performances are nothing particularly special, but this movie manages to rise above it all with a tight, straight forward plot, and some great ideas employed in the form of action sequences and gadgets to inject a little freshness into the espionage genre. Ghost Protocol is just a fun movie.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment