Saturday 28 July 2012

Today's Review: The Olympics Opening Ceremony

I'm not a sporty person, nor am I a fan of sports. I don't care about the Olympics at all. But my country is so enamoured with it I feel I have to at least be aware of things. To be perfectly honest I'm not a patriotic person either, and for a while I was scoffing at people who were brimming with British pride. Then I realised that makes me a douche, and if people want to be proud of their country and excited for a worldwide event then good on them. Whatever makes them happy. So last night I watched the opening ceremony, and while my brain came up with many sarcastic comments, as is the norm for me, I must say it wasn't too bad.

Sure, the show at the start was over an hour of British masturbatory pleasure, but it was well planned,  and had a pretty impressive scope. The forged rings, the cauldron, all very visually impressive. It was good to see the best of Britain scattered around for good measure, Mr. Bean, James Bond and... Dizzee Rascal? Yeah, that whole digital revolution thing wasn't a particularly great point, since it seemed to focus on how loud teenagers use technology to meet up in clubs and listen to awful music. 

Still, we got some good music in the end. Arctic Monkeys covering The Beatles, Paul McCartney being tacked on at the end instead of with the Arctic Monkeys... That was weird. Saying that, a lot of people are hating on him for his performance. Come on people, he's 70 years old, you see if you can do better. I farkin' loved it.

There was a large part of me that wanted to cringe, to say how lame it all was, but the truth is I quite enjoyed it. There was the boring bit in the middle with the procession of the country's teams, but I nodded off during that so it didn't affect me too much. Plus it was fun listening to the commentators trying to come up with something to say for the most obscure countries. But I'm glad I watched it. It was nice to be part of something, even if I don't feel that buzz that everyone else does. I probably won't watch any of the sports, but that show, while a little cheesy in places, was pretty awesome.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment