Tuesday 20 November 2012

Today's Review: Facial Hair

I know I touched upon the subject of facial hair somewhat when I reviewed eyebrows a couple of months ago, but I really shouldn't have stopped there. Sure, eyebrows are weird, but you know what else is weird when you think about it? All facial hair. In fact, most bodily hair, but I'll just stick with the facial for now, because that's the weirdest.

I get the appeal of facial hair, really, I do. As men, or women with extra testosterone, we can choose to grow thick patched of hair all over our chins and under our noses. In the past, great men have found ways to use this hair to look distinguished or bad-ass, while women have used it to become a staple attraction in circus sideshows at the turn of the 20th century. Goatees, full on beards, swirly moustaches, erratic sideburns, the possibilities of facial hair styles are endless. But why do we have hair there at all?

I can't say I've ever felt that my chin or my philtrum have been too cold, nor have I been suffocated by runaway dust or dirt particles that have found their way into my face for lack of hair to ensnare them first. There seems to be no evolutionary reason as to the reason we still have facial hair, apart from the fact that some ladies go crazy for a well formed 'tache or a scratchy beard. It's just one of those oddities of the human body that I guess we'll be stuck with until the end of time.

But I guess it's not exactly a bad thing. I can appreciate how cool honest Abe looked back in the day. I for one am not a fan of facial hair, especially the stubbly phase, but it's nice to know that if I ever decided to grow a handlebar under my nose, I can.

My rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment