Thursday 1 November 2012

Today's Review: Ice Age 4: Continental Drift


I've barely seen any of the other Ice Age movies, though my English teacher did play the first for us during a lesson. Apparently it's the perfect example of the multiple character types you find in a typical narrative. Not sure if I completely agree...

Well, here's the fourth one, and after rescuing babies, meeting dinosaurs, and whatever the second one is about, the animals now have to deal with the formation of continents. As the ground breaks apart, Manny the mammoth, Sid the sloth and Diego the smilodon are separated from their herd, and Manny's determination to get back to his family knows no bounds. So when they come across a giant chunk of ice fashioned into a ship and commandeered by menacing monkey Captain Gutt, the trio must use their wits and brawn to escape and find a way back.

I must admit that this movie wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but it's still pretty bland and formulaic. There's only so much of watching some animals drifting along on a chunk of ice or walking away from a destructive wall of land I can take, and there really wasn't much else to keep me entertained. A few battles that were over pretty quickly, a bit of slapstick thrown in for good measure. The performances aren't anything special either. As you can see on the poster up there, four of the seven main names are musicians, and it kind of shows, the acting is all so-so.

So overall I thought Ice Age 4 was just okay. It's certainly watchable, it just lacks any real depth. Still, the kids enjoyed it, so maybe yours will too.

My rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment