Monday 8 February 2016

Today's Review: Portlebay Chilli & Lime Popcorn


I've tried a few varieties of Portlebay popcorn, and found them to be pretty damn good (well, the bacon one wasn't fantastic). Now they're on offer in Tesco again, so I picked up this flavour that I haven't tried out yet. I've had chilli popcorn before, and it's a good flavour of popcorn to have, so I had high hopes that this one would turn out to be pretty tasty.

Well, this is the most chilli flavoured chilli popcorn I've had. Other brands definitely incorporate the chilli, and there's some amount of spice, but it's not particularly hot, whereas this packs a lovely bit of spice. It's very bold and flavoursome, and does get pretty hot at times, but the lime is on hand to mellow it out with a subtle citrus undertone. The quality of the corn itself is great, big crunchy pieces that have a lot of the flavouring packed in, meaning every handful is satisfyingly spicy. Tipping the bag up at the end delivered me a load of spicy flavouring that hadn't stuck, and my mouth needed cooling down after that, which is a sign of a good amount of spice. This chilli popcorn isn't done by halves. It's not habanero hot by any means, it's manageable but definitely a much more authentic chilli experience than other popcorns. I'll be buying this again.

My rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment