Sunday 21 February 2016

Today's Review: Mr. Kipling Cherry Bakewell Cupcake



Wow, that picture looks blurry, my apologies. I can't really do much about it now as I've stuffed the thing in my face, so let's continue. It seems Mr. Kipling aren't content cornering various corners of the cake market, they now want to try their hand at cupcakes. But these aren't just any cupcakes, they're cupcake versions of their already well known cakes, which is a pretty cool idea to be fair. There are Apple Pie and Angel Cake varieties, but I figured I'd go for the Cherry Bakewell first, seeing as I can't resist that cherry on top.

I also didn't take a picture of the cross section, it seems my stomach was winning out over my urge to document the process, but it's quite a nice view on the inside. That buttercream you see on top is layered on thick, and is in itself very thick, and underneath is a nice soft sponge that's been injected with jam. In this variety the sponge and buttercream are almond flavour, so from the first bite to the last there's that unmistakeable Cherry Bakewell taste. The sponge is good, I know there's not a whole lot that can be done to make it amazing, and it does a good job of capturing the authentic flavour and providing a lovely moist base for the cake. The jam is plentiful and adds some extra moisture and flavour. The only slight downside I can see to this cake is that there is perhaps a little too much buttercream. It's not too sickly, which would have worsened the problem, but it's the most prominent element, and one I can still taste a little after the fact. It's not so bad, it's thick and creamy and has more of that great almond flavour, but the balance could be a little better.

This cupcake is a great addition to the Mr. Kipling range. It's well constructed, and it just tastes good. I'll be picking up the other flavours for sure.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment