Wednesday 28 February 2018

Today's Review: Ben & Jerry's Topped Pretzel Palooza


You wait ages for a new Ben & Jerry's flavour, and two come along at once. Yes, I made a special trip to Sainsbury's just to spend £7 on ice cream, and no, I don't regret it. The birthday cake tub is good, and I also picked up this new variety of Topped. Underneath that oh-so-fantastic spoonable chocolate topping is a malted vanilla ice cream, embedded with chocolate covered pretzels and chocolate chunks, finished off with a chocolate hazelnut swirl. I mean, just the pretzels was enough to get me interested.

As far as ice creams go, I'd say I'm a pretty avid Ben & Jerry's supporter. I love all the flavours, I went to the amazing festivals they used to hold in London. But despite my love of the brand, I have to be somewhat critical about this tub. It's just not particularly exciting. There's lots of stuff packed in there, sure, but it all comes with little disappointments. I assumed the ice cream would have a bold malted flavour, but it's more the classic Ben & Jerry's vanilla, which isn't bad, but I was expecting something different. The chocolate hazelnut swirl is not as prominent as i'd hoped. There's a hint of nuttiness in the after taste, but I didn't really notice it while eating. As for the pretzels, they add a pretty satisfying crunch paired with a chocolate hit, but they could do with being more salty, as they are they don't add too much to the overall taste. Don't get me wrong, this isn't an awful tub, it's still better than a lot of ice creams out there. I was just expecting something amazing, and this is pretty mediocre by Ben & Jerry's standards. If you're crazy for pretzels, by all means give it a go. If not, there are far better Topped varieties out there.

My rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment