Wednesday 5 December 2012

Today's Review: How This Country Reacts To Snow

I woke up this morning, and looked out of the window to see a nice blanket of snow. Not that I had to look out of the window, all I had to do was go on Facebook and look at the last twenty updates, which all informed me which kind of weather had happened. This is the initial excitement that happens after snow, especially snow that wasn't preceded by tens of news reports informing us of the potential situation.

But then that excitement clears, as people realise that they have work to go to. You see, snow is only fun as long as it's snow, and within minutes of people walking or driving over the snow it gets compacted to unholy death ice. You see, in countries where snow is quite a common occurrence, they have measures to stop the roads becoming death traps. Snow ploughs, grit and the like, but apparently England forget about these every year.

When I walked into town this morning, it was like a scene from some kind of snow-pocalypse. Cars travelled slower than me, as one wrong move could send them sliding uncontrollably into any number of obstacles. The few pedestrian survivors struggled along like ice skating zombies. But mostly, there was a distinct lack of people. Because whenever there's snow, there is sure to be an onslaught of people who wouldn't even dare leave their house to run errands, or even go to work. Trains and buses are delayed and cancelled, the whole country comes to a standstill, because this slightly frozen water came out of the sky, as it has for millions of years, and screwed everything up.

Okay, I admit ice is pretty scary stuff to try and travel on, especially in massive vehicles. Hell, I've developed an irrational fear of ice skating after quite a bad fall on an ice rink, so I particularly dread the thought of slipping over. But should snow really be hindering us this much? Perhaps it's like this in all countries, but it seems like those that are regularly snowy seem to have their shit together. I can only say from my experience in this country that snow is bad news, game over. Seriously guys, we have evolved into a highly intelligent and resourceful human race with mind-boggling technology, but we comes to a standstill whenever some snow falls from the sky? It just doesn't seem right. Take some risks, take some precautions, do something. Well, I guess global warming is one solution...

My rating: 1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment