Friday 25 January 2013

Today's Review: The BCG Vaccine

Vaccinations are good things. A few jabs to set you up for life against awful diseases? Sign me up. Though for a few of them I probably wasn't yet self aware, so I guess I'm glad someone else signed me up. But there's one in particular that's left an impression on me, like, physically. Yes, the BCG, or Bacillus Calmette-Guérin (thanks Wikipedia).

Yes, I know, it's great to be safe from tuberculosis, but that BCG jab has scarred mine and many others' arms forever. Most people will see some form of scar tissue and ask how it happened, but this weird scar on the top of everyone's arm has the same story. "Yeah, I went to school one day, and they stuck me with a needle, then my arm scabbed over for a few weeks and now I have an unsightly mark to remind me of that special day."

So yeah, thanks for the no TB, but I wish they'd find a better way of administering it. According to Wikipedia they can also jab you in the buttocks, but that would probably be a bit weird in school.

My rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment