Thursday 24 January 2013

Today's Review: Trop50 Pomegranate & Blueberry Juice


Tropicana have released a new range of juices, one which promises 50% less calories and sugar than other fruit juices. How does it do this? Well, instead of loading up the juice with a load of sugar, Tropicana have harnessed the power of the Stevia leaf, a leaf that has apparently been used for hundreds of years, but has only just been approved for use as a sweetener in real proper food. This fancy extract is 200 times sweeter than sugar, but with zero calories, and I don't know whether I should believe that. Still, companies can't lie about their calorific contents, so I'll accept that this drink certainly has less calories than others. But does this fancy sweetener ruin the taste?

I chose the pomegranate and blueberry flavour because it was on offer, and normally that juice is pretty expensive. Whenever I do have a glass I find my mouth gets quite dry after a few sips, but there must be something about this Stevia extract, because this drink is pretty smooth all the way through. The flavours are certainly bold, but it does leave something of an aftertaste, a feeling that something's not quite right. That's the sweetener at work. It certainly does its job of keeping the drink sweet, but the lingering taste afterwards is very noticeable. Still, the actual juice is very nice, and maybe once we've started using fancy leaves instead of sugar for everything we can all get used to the taste.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment