Friday 21 November 2014

Today's Review: Domino's Mac 'N' Cheese Bites



Friday night is pizza night, at least it was this Friday night. This time I went for a big old bundle of food, which showcased some interesting Domino's products I hadn't tried before. I know the doughnuts were new because a nice big banner told me, but I'm not sure if these Mac 'N' Cheese Bites are the same. Either way, they were new to me, and I certainly couldn't say no. These are, quite literally, bite size pieces of macaroni cheese, boasting mozzarella, cream cheese and cheddar, all wrapped up in breadcrumbs, and served with a salsa dip.

It took a while to reach a proper verdict on these, I'm not sure what I was expecting when I took a bite, probably something like a hot jet of cheese sauce spraying down my chin, with piping hot pasta scorching the roof of my mouth, but I don't see why anyone would want that. I guess, really, I just wasn't expecting the innards to be so... chewy? They're certainly cheesy, and there's a fair amount of pasta in there, but since the texture of the cheese and macaroni are so similar it's hard to differentiate. Overall, the whole experience is a little bland, certainly edible, but nowhere near the realm of other awesome sides like the jalapeño dough balls. While the salsa  dip may seem like an odd choice for mac and cheese, it actually helps out here, lending a nice saucy texture with not too much spice. Still, even with the dip, I wasn't overly impressed. If you're looking for a form of cheesy bites with your pizza, this is what Domino's have to offer, and they're not bad. Just don't expect to be blown away.

My rating: 3/5

2 comments:

  1. These sound amazing so it's a shame they didn't live up to their potential! Having said that, I always find there's nothing quite like homemade macaroni cheese so, the chances are, I wouldn't have been that impressed with the sauce's flavour anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was definitely a bit disappointed, and I don't even eat mac and cheese that much. I do have another mac and cheese review lined up for tomorrow though...

      Delete