Wednesday 12 November 2014

Today's Review: Tesco Custard Cream Spread



The spreads aisle at Tesco has become populated with some interesting things lately, like this custard cream spread. I was surprised to see this was a hot topic on Facebook a little while ago, not only because I'd seen it on the shelves for a while, but also because it had launched alongside a bourbon spread, and that didn't seem to get much attention. Still, I decided to give the former a go, and since I didn't have any "buttery rich waffles" to enjoy it with, I settled for dipping my finger in. After all, it needs to stand out by its own merits, right?

The first thing I noticed when perusing the back of the jar was that this spread contains biscuits. So instead of this being pure custard cream filling, it's actually filling that contains the biscuits that it is originally contained within. Trippy. While this does make the resulting spread less sickly than I imagined it would be, I believe it does hurt it somewhat. The texture is just a bit off, quite thick and slightly gritty. Despite the actual filling of a custard cream being quite thick, I find that it's a lot smoother to the taste than this spread is. Still, it does have a nice, bold vanilla flavour, and overall it does taste like a spreadable custard cream, and I guess that's what's being sold, after all, this is "custard cream spread", not "custard cream filling".

All in all, I think this is mainly a novelty thing. Was there really a gap in the market for spreadable biscuits? Probably not, and outside of spreading these on some waffles, flapjacks, or other baked goods, I can't see me eating a whole lot of this. This spread is an interesting enough idea, but the result is not all that great.

My rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment