Saturday 17 January 2015

Today's Review: Irn Bru Ice Lollies


You can never go wrong with a can of Irn Bru, or even a bottle. There's something about the flavour that's indescribable, but it certainly is a damn good soft drink. You know what I always say about fizzy drinks? They also make great ice lollies. Oh wait, I don't say that, because that would be weird, but it looks like Irn Bru went ahead and released one anyway. These came out a long while ago, but they've finally gone down to £1.50 for a pack of three in Tesco, just low enough for me to take the plunge.

The description of these is as simple as it can get really. These lollies consist of an Irn Bru flavoured ice cream, with Irn Bru flavoured swirls, wrapped up in an Irn Bru flavoured coating. No need for anything fancy thrown in, just a whole load of Irn Bru in different consistencies, and you know what? It works. Every part of these lollies tastes just like Irn Bru, from the smooth outer shell to the creamy ice cream. It's pretty much like a Solero, but with every part replaced with Irn Bru, which I suppose is the Scottish way of life. 

I do feel it's perhaps a little too much Irn Bru, it did get a little sickly after I got halfway through, what with the syrupy swirls in the middle, but after I was done I certainly didn't see it as a bad experience. Sure, the ice cream isn't top notch gourmet stuff, but this is a lolly that tastes just like Irn Bru, and you won't find that anywhere else. It's certainly not my favourite ice lolly of all time, but it's the one I'll turn to when I feel the need for Irn Bru, and it's probably set to become the national ice lolly of Scotland.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment