Sunday 18 January 2015

Today's Review: Tesco Mini Lemonade & Cola Doughnuts


If there's one thing Tesco like to experiment with, it's doughnuts. Since last year we've had milkshake flavour, red velvet, duffins, and even cheese and onion doughnuts. But they're not done yet, and I don't think they will be until every single food type has been distilled into a doughy form. This time they've gone for something a little wacky, but not too out there, fizzy drink flavoured doughnuts, featuring lemonade and cola.

You may, like me, have instant visions of dunking doughnuts into glasses of coke and lemonade, but I assure you these are not the soggy result of such reckless abandon. No, these are the standard mini doughnuts that Tesco have brought out in several varieties over the years. Seven of them have a cola topping, and the other seven have lemonade, so you don't need to worry about soft drink cross contamination either. 

I must say, the lemonade ones are actually very nice. It's not so much lemonade as lemon, and they have a great citrus taste that works very well with the dough. There's definitely a bit of a fizz in there too, which is a nice little addition that really rounds it up to a very nice doughnut. The cola ones, on the other hand, I'm not sure what to make of them. The coating certainly looks like chocolate, and I don't know if that was complicit in my taste buds thinking it tasted like chocolate. There is a hint of cola in there somewhere, along with the fizz that's also present in the lemon, but I really couldn't target the actual flavour all that well, and it ended up being a bit of a strangely textured, odd tasting doughnut.

So there you have it, fizzy doughnuts, showing in the same bag that they're both a good and not so good idea. Still, it's nice to have some variety, and while I didn't really enjoy the cola ones, I'm sure some people will. The lemonade are definitely a hit, but with the strangeness of the cola, it just makes the bag as a whole seem a little average. A good novelty treat, but it might be better to go with the classics next time.

My rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment