Sunday 14 August 2016

Today's Review: Novelty Shaped USB Sticks


I got that neat looking car-shaped memory stick free from a stall in the high street last week. Not only does it look like a car, the wheels turn, and it lights up when you plug it in. Fantastic, right? Well, not really, because its bulky plastic shell makes it mostly useless. It reminded me of another USB stick I acquired some years back, that slightly less bulky Star Wars themed number on the right. It's less obvious with that one, but both suffer from the same problem. You can't fit anything in the port next to where they're plugged in.

I mean, this might be fine for some people. Those who don't make use of all their ports, or who have slots which are placed far apart for some reason. But I tend to have quite a bit of stuff plugged in, in the way of extra USB appliances, ethernet or HDMI cables, and these novelty shaped sticks make plugging these in pretty much impossible. I mean, depending on which side of my laptop I put that car in, it either covers up both the ethernet and headphone ports, or stops me from opening my disc drive. Perhaps not the end of the world, but why should I be facing that problem? Why can't all sticks conform to proper standards of measurement? It may seem like a bit of harmless fun, but it stresses me out. Oh well, I suppose I can do without the paltry 512MB that the car provides. But it didn't have to be this way.

My rating: 1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment