Thursday 18 August 2016

Today's Review: Heat 'Em Up Doner Kebab


About once a week I find myself home alone, with naught to cook for just myself. It's times like these that I occasionally wander out and see if I can find myself something cheap and easy to stuff into my face and call dinner. Normally I'll go for the fresh stuff, but the other day I figured I'd peruse the frozen aisle, and I stumbled upon a wide selection of microwaveable delicacies for a pound each. It's the Heat 'Em Up range, offering burgers, toasties, chicken, and this doner kebab. I figured the quality would not be great, so I went for the most interesting (or disgusting) sounding one. It's a flatbread, filled with slices of reformed mutton and beef and onions, with a little sachet of chilli sauce. You heat it up in the microwave, from frozen. How can this be good?  


I went for the Lightning McQueen plate, as I didn't believe this was good enough for actual crockery. But you know, I was pleasantly surprised. It's not good, by any means, but it's certainly edible. There's a substantial amount of "meat" in there, and it's probably somewhat on par with the stuff you'd find in any other dirty kebab, it tastes alright, and it's filling. The onions are a little disappointing, a little flavourless, but they add a bit of a crunch. The flatbread is pretty average, but it does well for being a piece of frozen bread that's been nuked. All in all, it's surprisingly edible, I wouldn't say it's delicious, but it's better than the low ranking I was going to give it based purely on the idea of the thing. For a microwaveable kebab, this isn't bad.

My rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment