Wednesday 16 November 2016

Today's Review: New Recipe Wham Bars


I was recently sent a few Wham bars to try out for review. Now, Wham bars aren't a new thing at all, but they're being re-released with a new recipe, including fruit juice and more sour crystals. I mean, Wham was pretty good to begin with, so I was interested to see what the new formula would bring. Not that I'm one to particularly pay attention to the weights of things, but the traditional Wham bars apparently come in 25g, whereas I received 16g. I was assured that both sizes are still available, and that these guys haven't pulled a Toblerone. But I digress, let's get onto the taste.

I could definitely tell the addition of fruit juice in this version, it's a much more fruity experience than the previous Wham bars. I feel the composition has changed slightly too, it's a bit softer, and slightly less stickily chewy. I haven't had a Wham bar in a while though, so I could be imagining it, but it's not a bad thing, it's a nice texture that still retains some chewiness. At first bite I felt that the sour crystals didn't quite pack the punch they used to, I remember there being concentrated pockets of sourness, and these bars don't seem to have that. What I did notice was a consistent sour taste that spread throughout the entirety of the bar, and a grittiness in the form of many crunchy crystals. It's a little different from the old bars, but it's not bad, I personally like concentrated sour pockets, but this one is more consistent, and the sourness hangs around in the after taste. All in all, this is a nice new recipe, whether it's a marked improvement on the old bars, I don't know, but it's still good and still definitely a Wham bar.

My rating: 4/5


13 comments:

  1. Just be honest. They taste like shit, bring back the old recipe.
    No need for an essay, it isn't master chef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely horrible, texture terrible 0 star rating

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where's the chewiness gone? That was the signature Wham bar experience, now it's just bleurgh, like a bar of mushy Chewits

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely awful sloppy taste now. Will never bug again

    ReplyDelete
  5. bring back the old recipe. honestly outrageous and upsetting that I cannot relive my childhood through this sweet. only 90s kids will remember. rip

    ReplyDelete
  6. bring back the old recipe. honestly outrageous and upsetting that I cannot relive my childhood through this sweet. only 90s kids will remember. rip

    ReplyDelete
  7. bring back the old recipe. honestly outrageous and upsetting that I cannot relive my childhood through this sweet. only 90s kids will remember. rip

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely shite they used to be rock solid now soft as jelly shite taste no crystals aba half the size I remember so ruined a perfectly good bar

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree the new wham bars should have a different name entirely as they aren't wham bars. I bought a bulk of 60 online thinking I was getting a wham from childhood, nope pile of chewits they now are! Nothing wrong with chewits but I wanted the sourness of wham! Not sour in the slightest, where are the crunchy crystals also?? Think I had 1!!! Don't get me started on the size!!! OK rant over,,, will save the box of now 58, had to try 2 to make sure I didn't get a dud! For the kids for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  10. old recipe is by far better, more sticky and sour. this recipe is awful. i used like putting mine in the fridge to harden, but 2 mins out of the fridge with this new recipe isnt great. 2/5

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omg how upset was I when I just had a wham bar not realising that the recipe had changed. It was so disappointing. Bring back the chewey sour one. 😢

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gutted, can’t believe how bad they are now.
    My favourite chewy sweet ruined. 😱

    ReplyDelete
  13. 100%. There horrible same with lots more fruit salads blackjack n more. Disgrace too bits. Shameless aswell. Rotten bastards

    ReplyDelete