Saturday 30 July 2011

Today's Review: Doritos Nacho Cheese Dip

I am a man who appreciates a good dip, but Doritos have only ever served up two types. There's the generic salsa, in hot and mild varieties, and the sour cream and chive. I'll eat salsa occasionally, but it doesn't really do much for me. Sour cream, on the other hand, is awesome, I could eat that all day.

But what of the other dips out in the big bright world? I've dabbled in hummus, guacamole, and various others, and when I went to America last I decided to go for the salsa con queso, or chili cheese. Cheese is invariably awesome, so to have it melted with chili and put on things was a dream come true. But the dip I tried out there left a lot to be desired. It was a bit too creamy, and the heat was a bit off-putting. Not that it was too hot, it just didn't feel right. Upon returning to the UK I noticed that Tesco have ventured into this territory with their nacho chili cheese dip, which tastes awesome. However, after a while it does start to be a bit uncomfortably spicy, and the little pieces of nacho inside are a bit weird, feels like you're getting sloppy seconds from a double dipper.

But now Doritos have stepped up to the plate:


It's Nacho Cheese time, bitches. I know this has been out a while, but I was apprehensive of buying it, because Doritos dips are expensive, man, pretty much the price of the chips themselves. But now they are 2 for £2, so I couldn't resist any longer.

I didn't buy any Doritos chips to go with them, because aside from Chili Heatwave, which just taste awesome, the only reason I buy tortilla chips is to get dip from the jar and into my face. So I opted for the cheaper Tesco versions, which are just as good at transporting dip.

The first thing I noticed was the difference between this dip and the Tesco variety:


Smooth man, real smooth. No chunks, no discolouration, just pure melted chili cheese goodness. It did remind me of the disappointing American style though, but my fears were put to rest as I began to dip.

It's a real creamy experience. The cheesiness is spot on, and not over-empowering, and there's just the right amount of spice to keep it interesting without taking over your taste buds. Why did I ever doubt you, Doritos? Clearly you have taken so long filling this gap in your market so you can perfect the recipe. After devouring over half the jar, as seen above, I can safely say that this is one of my new favourite dips, not quite taking over the sour cream, but it's close. Whenever I want something spicy and my budget allows for it, Doritos Nacho Cheese will be heartily funneled into my mouth.

My rating: 5/5

19 comments:

  1. its already melted and everything but.. do you think it would be okay/safe/still edible to actually like... heat it up in a pot for a bit or something? i cannot stand cold dips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dating for everyone is here: ❤❤❤ Link 1 ❤❤❤


      Direct sexchat: ❤❤❤ Link 2 ❤❤❤

      5K..

      Delete
  2. I'm sure it would be fine to heat up. I'm sure there have been a few intrepid food explorers who have liberally poured it on top of some nachos and shoved it into the microwave until it is fully irradiated and American.

    If you do try it hot, let me know. Both if it tastes nice and if there are any side effect on your personal health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have just put the dip in microwave its awsome

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Your comment is the most useful part of this review!

      Delete
  3. I just bought some of this the other day and thought it tasted so nasty. I was really surprised as I usually love all things cheesy but this has a very vomit like aftertaste to me. I've also bought the sour cream and chive dip but I'm quite aprehensive about trying it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the fist time I have tasted it from Bangladesh, yea, from the opposite side of the world. So, took time to reach here. I would say I loved it a lot with my Spicy Nacho Doritos chips. Today gonna buy Doritos cool ranch and try with that. Let's see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband is out getting me Doritos Nacho Cheese dip as I type this. I am reluctant after having a similar awful taste experience to Ohh Erin's with the same dip a few years back. Like Erin described, it had the vomit aftertaste a few years ago.
    And no, I'm actually not a sucker for punishment, I just love the original Cool Doritos and I swear, if the dip sucks this time, I'm going to have a word with the stockholders et al at the top of their corporate ladder. No need for us to be buying crappy dips. Hope I have the same wonderful experience as the blog owner and some other posters here have had. Am putting the Doritos Nacho Cheese Dip on my original Cool Doritos. Erin, if you are still reading this blog, may our Doritos Nacho Cheese Dip experiences completely turn around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Update: Oh people, I hate to be a downer, but it was still horrible. The jar didn't have the royal blue color as the blog owner's does, it was a pale yellow, and this is the United Kingdom, so that probably makes a difference? Anyway, so sad to say back to square one again and I am writing a letter to the company. I can't believe they haven't found a better recipe for Nacho Cheese than what I just tasted.
    Glad some of you had good experiences, though, and my quest for a decent jarred cheese dip continues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All these new comments are making me want to grab a pot of this dip, I can almost taste it, yum. It's a shame it's not to your liking, I'm also in the UK, so I'm guessing they've had the same recipe for a while now, but hey, to each their own.

      Delete
    2. I agree.. I have the one made in the uk.. it tastes horrible!! The texture is that of hummus :/

      Delete
    3. Hey there, A Review A Day, it's great to see someone who really is thrilled with their dip. When I read your post, it made me so hungry for a good cheese dip.
      Let me tell you one I really did love a few years ago. They had one called "Old El Paso Cheese" in a small jar. That stuff was heavenly. It was only on the shelf a short time. Old El Paso still have some dips, but don't think they have cheese anymore, which is a shame, as that stuff was so good.
      Well, guess Anonymous and I will keep on trying. Seems like some of these companies change formulas a lot but Review, enjoy those nachos and your dip! There's nothing like a good munch on those things with a dip one loves!

      Delete
  7. I'm pregnant and want this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like cheese and i am brown. vote for me

    ReplyDelete
  9. youtube.com/abirpatwary

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was truly the most vile dip ever. No idea if we got a defunkt jar but it was truly vomit inducing. Never again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like it! I was hesitant at first but I'm glad I tried it, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dating for everyone is here: ❤❤❤ Link 1 ❤❤❤


    Direct sexchat: ❤❤❤ Link 2 ❤❤❤

    e3..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Even cheesier? Not! Tasteless and flavourless! Sorry I used to like it before but "new receipt" isn't close to cheese dip.

    ReplyDelete