Thursday 12 March 2015

Today's Review: Walkers Mixups Spicy Snacks Mix


I've been steadily making my way through the Walkers Mixups range over the last week or so, and this bag is one I was certainly looking forward to diving into. This is a spicy snack mix, comprising of four different Walkers crisp varieties, each possessing a spicy flavour. There are the classic chilli Doritos and flaming hot Monster Munch, as well as the spicy Wotsits previously seen in the Halloween themed Zombie Fingers. But there's also a new addition (as far as I know) in the form of some spicy French Fries. Intriguing stuff.

My tastebuds were expecting a nice spicy hit, but what I got was more lukewarm. Don't get me wrong, these crisps all have something of a spicy flavour, but they're not nearly strong enough. The Monster Munch are pretty much the same flavour as their individual pack counterparts, but the Doritos seemed to be quite subdued compared to the Chilli Heatwave, they didn't make my tongue tingle in the slightest. The Wotsits are perhaps the most disappointing of the lot, I love Zombie Fingers, but these ones are slightly fatter, and a lot blander, and I'm sure I could taste more cheesiness than spiciness. As for the French Fries, I was looking forward to an interesting new flavour, but there wasn't much to these either, they were more like Ready Salted French Fries that had been tossed in the bag in the hope that the other spicy flavours would rub off onto them.

For a purported spicy bag of mixed up crisps, I can't say these ones do a particularly good job. Sure, my mouth was warmer by the end than when I started, but overall these Mixups were disappointingly bland. The crisps themselves may be of good quality, but Walkers have proven by their individual packs that they can make some nice spicy crisps, and something appears to have been lost in translation here.

My rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment