Tuesday 2 August 2016

Today's Review: Jack Link's Sweet & Hot Beef Jerky


Beek jerky is something of a divisive food. Some people love it, while some people are revolted at the mere concept. I lean towards the love camp, because come on, it's big lumps of beef in chewable snack form. Lovely. It's been a while since I've picked up a bag though, but I've had my eye on the ones in the American section at Tesco for a while now. Thankfully (though sadly) these bags are now reduced to clear, so I picked this one up for just over 40p. Not only is it beef jerky, it also promises sweet and spice in the same bag. Oh, the anticipation.

Unfortunately, this was not quite the beef jerky experience I was hoping for. It's just not that great. The beef itself has a nice, chewy consistency, it's not as if the texture is different from any other jerky, but the flavourings fall a bit flat. While chewing, I didn't pick up much, and while there was a definite hint of sweetness, it wasn't enough to make me think I was eating anything special. The heat presented itself afterwards, and is a pleasant warm, mellow spice, but I'd rather have that while I'm chewing on the stuff, not in the after taste. Okay, this isn't exactly like chewing flavourless lumps of beef, there's something there, it's just the flavourings take a while to come through, so I'd rate it a pretty average experience overall. Not a fantastic jerky, but it's alright.

My rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment