Wednesday 14 December 2011

Today's Review: Frugo


There will be no more movies coming out until after Christmas now, so clearly I need inspiration for more reviews. Perhaps I'll review some of the games that I never got round to reviewing, perhaps I'll review some old favourite movies, or perhaps I'll just write a load of bullshit. But for today, I paid a visit to the ethnic section of Tesco once more, and found these tempting little bottles of juice on sale for only 33p. Of course, I snagged both flavours.

The green does look a little off putting, but then I was reminded that it is "ultra green", and that can't be a bad thing. The picture does look like a negative of an unripened tomato, but the bottle informed me that the main flavour in this beverage was "lulo", which is scientifically known as "Solanum quitoense". It looks like an orange, apparently has a flavour somewhere between rhubarb and lime, and most importantly the juice is green, hence this delightful colour. There's also kiwi and apple thrown in for good measure, but all in all the drink wasn't bad at all. It's a smooth juice with a tangy but sweet flavour, definitely one of my favourite green beverages (I'm looking at you, Mountain Dew).

"Ultra black" is on the other end of the juice spectrum. This one predominantly features "pitahaya", or dragon fruit, with grapes, cherries and blueberries thrown in. The combination gives a taste similar to pomegranate juice. I have had Pomegreat before, and always found it to be a little too dry. While this drink suffers from the same problem, the different juices add together to create a smoother experience. 

If you can find these little bottles around, give them a try. I was pleasantly surprised, and would definitely give them another try. Hey, where else are you gonna get some lulo and dragon fruit juice? Drinking those makes you sound badass.

My rating: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. Tried both at the weekend and love them, especially the green one. They're not too sweet and with ingredients that could be of benefit in a healthy diet. Will be having these 'shots' regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I managed to get hold of the blue lemon one found in Tesco's stores 3 bottles for 1 pound bargain beautiful fruity taste definantely a favourite

    ReplyDelete