Monday 19 December 2011

Today's Review: Butterscotch Malt Shake From Ed's Diner


I just realised how blurry that picture is, but now the drink is gone and the cup disposed of. Oh well.

I went to Lakeside today, probably a bad idea since everyone is rushing around buying presents, but we went to see Santa, and got in the Fast Track queue, so it's all good. Since I wasn't really buying much, I figured I'd indulge in one of the slightly expensive malt shakes that the American diner in the food court offer. There is a cheaper milk shake variety, but expensive means better, right?

There are several flavours on offer, from the plain spread of  chocolate, vanilla or strawberry, to the interesting banana, peanut butter or butterscotch. I went for butterscotch, because I have grown to love it through consumption of Angel Delight.

The shake was awesome. It seems to defy the laws of physics by weighing almost nothing when it's in the cup. Also it takes ages for the drink to disappear, and that's certainly not a bad thing. The shake was not too cold, awesomely smooth, and the flavour was certainly present, without becoming overwhelming. I have no real comparison with which to assess how good the malt element made it, but I could certainly taste the malt, similar to the part of a Mars bar that isn't chocolate or caramel. It blended well with the rest of the drink, and made for an awesome drinking experience. I was very sad when it was gone.

Still, there's always my next visit. Maybe then I'll be brave enough for peanut butter.

My rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment