Sunday 11 August 2013

Today's Review: Maxibon Cookie


Of all the ice cream treats I have enjoyed in my lifetime, none has reached the combined tastiness and elusiveness of the Maxibon. I think the last time I had one of these was in 2005, when I found one in a random shop in Tenerife, and I remember that even back then I was damn excited to finally find one. But today, I found not only a Maxibon, but a new style of Maxibon, and in London Zoo of all places.

For those not aware, and therefore missing out on one of the best things ever created, Maxibon is an ice cream bar, comprised of two different halves. One has a crispy chocolate, Feast-esque coating, and the other has the ice cream sandwiched between two slabs of biscuity goodness. The Maxibon Cookie takes it further than before, the biscuit is now a soft cookie, complete with chocolate chips.

The beauty of the Maxibon bar is that it's perfectly designed to be enjoyed with no mess. Since the ice cream sandwich half is obviously the best bit, you can safely hold the bar at that end while you snack away at the crispy chocolate covering the soft, smooth ice cream. Once that's done, the other half can be enjoyed at leisure. The original Maxibon's biscuit was somewhat rigid and chewy, and while it was still very good, this new cookie offering is sublime. It's soft, chocolatey, totally delicious.

Before anyone says it, I know that Ben & Jerry offer up the 'Wich, which is basically a full size version of the cookie part of this Maxibon. I absolutely adore 'Wich, but it seems to have gone the way of Maxibon, as I haven't seen one in a very long time. As much as I love 'Wich though, Maxibon will always hold a special place in my heart. It's a delicious combination of ice cream, chocolate and cookie, that I'll always be sure to snatch up whenever I find one.

My rating: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. Great review,I remember trying ice cream cookies as a kid and hating them. Perhaps now is the time to establish some communications.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maxibon are amazing. The petrol station by my old office sold them and I was awestruck when I first had one.

    ReplyDelete