Tuesday 27 January 2015

Today's Review: Drumstick Lollies


I'm often so obsessed with finding all the new, weird and wonderful snacks lining the shelves, that I easily overlook the classics. But not today. For today I was treated to a Drumstick, and while I've had countless Drumsticks throughout my life, this is the one that persuaded me to write a review about them. Not that there was anything particularly spectacular about this Drumstick, I also had no other ideas about what to review. But hey, let's begin.

I'm sure most people in the UK know what a Drumstick is. If not, you should probably just go and buy one, they're only 10p. That's right, 10p. These are immune to inflation, unlike those controversial Freddos. Or perhaps these used to be less than 10p. Either way, they're still dirt cheap. Basically, it's a chewy lolly, that is apparently raspberry and milk flavour. Bit of a strange combination, but it does make for a creamy, fruity taste that works pretty well with the texture. Despite containing no milk or raspberry, you can easily pick those elements out, and combined they make a distinct taste that everyone who's ever had one would immediately associate with Drumstick. 

Drumsticks are great, everyone who's had one knows that, they're an institution. But that doesn't mean they're perfect. Sure, they taste great, but I always seem to have problems when I eat one. It's meant to be a lolly, it has a stick and everything, but I can't remember a time where I've managed to keep the thing on the stick until the end. Either it manages to shake itself loose over time, or the chew becomes a wet, mangled, elongated mess after a few minutes. In either case it just becomes impractical as a lolly, and simply becomes a tasty chew. So why include a stick in the first place?I don't know, probably just because. 

I don't know, maybe I should treat my Drumsticks more gently. Perhaps most people don't have problems keeping them on the stick. But Drumsticks still taste great, and the chewiness means they last a good while for something you can pick up for a mere 10p. If you've had one, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't had one, you probably just haven't grown teeth yet, and therefore you are probably a baby who is very advanced in reading.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment