Saturday 19 October 2013

Today's Review: Boy Bawang Chili Cheese


I picked up this interesting bag of "cornick", or toasted corn, at my local Asian supermarket today. It's a brand called Boy Bawang, which certainly has a nice ring to it, and though there were a few flavours, I went for the chilli cheese, partly because I love chilli cheese, and partly because the mascot on the front seems to be punching the flavours off the packet. I get that the mascot is a garlic bulb, as that's the most popular cornick flavour, but why is he so hostile towards chilli cheese? I picked up a bag of barbecue flavour, and he seems perfectly happy there:

I'm not happy that these are three months out of date though...
Well, baffling packaging aside, I opened up the pack and poured myself some toasted corn goodness. 


A nice helping of perfectly presented toasted corn. Not that I'd ever had toasted corn before, but I looked forward to trying it. Unfortunately, I was not blown away. It's a nice, filling snack, but what starts off crunchy slowly breaks down into a kind of mush. Still, they grew on me the more I ate, and the texture really wasn't much of a problem after a short while. The flavour, however, is just not strong enough. There's certainly a hint of cheese, but I couldn't really detect any spiciness, apart from in the dusty residue that had somehow materialised on my fingers afterwards. 

Perhaps I need to keep at it and try the other flavours, but these just didn't do too much for me. They're nice and filling, but just a bit too plain for my liking.

My rating: 2/5




1 comment:

  1. I've tried the garlic flavour Boy Bawang and it's very odd indeed. Not something I'd buy again.

    ReplyDelete