Tuesday 16 December 2014

Today's Review: Cracker Jacks


I watch a lot of American TV and movies, and I often find characters tossing out random snack names, that everyone else just accepts as normal. I have made it my mission to seek out and try as many of these as possible, be it Tootsie Rolls, Charleston Chews, orange soda or Cap'n Crunch. There is one snack in particular that has eluded me for many years though. Many characters often speak of devouring entire boxes of Cracker Jacks, and I managed to find one the other day. I'm guessing they come in larger boxes stateside, to facilitate the character's guilt at eating an entire one, but this tiny pack was enough for me to see what all the fuss is about.

The packaging says it all really, these are caramel coated popcorn and peanuts. It may sound a bit boring, but hey, these things have been around for ages, so I figured they must be pretty good. Turns out, they are. The popcorn is soft, with a nice chewy exterior, and while there are certainly fewer peanuts than kernels, they give off enough flavour to make the whole experience quite nutty. Even eating a popcorn kernel on its own, I was picking up hints of peanut, and the caramel coating on everything made it all nice and sweet. It didn't take me long to devour the box, so I know what all those gluttonous Americans mean now. I also got a prize inside, in the form of a sticker for an American sports team that I don't know, so overall its was a pretty awesome experience. Now when someone talks about eating Cracker Jacks, I'll know exactly what they're talking about.

My rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment