Saturday 19 November 2016

Today's Review: Caffè Nero Spiced Orange Latte


I don't normally visit Caffè Nero, but I found myself there the other day, and figured I'd take my pick from one of their festive offerings. The nice thing about these guys is that you can have each flavour as either a hot chocolate or latte, which is a nice change from the set in stone separation that you'd find at Costa. I went for the spiced orange, because it seemed a little different, and in the form of a latte, because apparently I need coffee to function like a regular human being.

I'm assuming all that's in the coffee itself is some orange syrup, because it seems the "spiced" part comes from the cinnamon they dumped on top. Now, don't get me wrong, I've had misgivings with cinnamon in the past, but it's something I quite enjoy now, just not in this quantity. I tried to go the route of sipping this thing without first stirring in the cream, and got an unpleasant mouthful of powder, so mixing it all up is pretty much essential. Even then, this isn't a particularly great cup. The cinnamon is authentic at least, but there's just too much, while the orange syrup isn't a particularly great match for a latte. There's a certain amount of fruitiness, but it's overshadowed by everything else and overall it's not a great combination or balance of flavours. There are worse things than orange coffee, and this isn't completely awful, but it's probably the worst festive drink I've tried so far this year.

My rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment