Sunday 1 February 2015

Today's Review: Tesco Salted Caramel Doughnuts


Having reviewed the red velvet doughnuts from Tesco a few weeks ago, I thought it wouldn't be long until I went back and bought the salted caramel doughnuts that were sitting right next to them. Well, today I finally did, and I was wondering why it took me so long to pick them up. Doughnuts are great, salted caramel is great, so both together must be amazing, right?


Well, these certainly look the part. A nice frosty glazing, topped with salted caramel flavoured fudge pieces, and the dough is full of salted caramel flavour filling. Yes, "flavoured", it's not quite the real stuff, which is a little baffling considering it's probably the right consistency. But hey, gotta keep costs down I guess. The filling isn't actually bad. It's thick and goopy, much like you'd expect the real thing to be, and it's certainly flavoursome, very sweet with a slight salty kick. The fudge pieces are great as well, soft and chewy and also packed with flavour. The dough, however, is where I wasn't too convinced. It's a very heavy, dark dough, which is certainly in keeping with the dark salted caramel theme. But it's a little too stodgy, and the heaviness left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth which detracted from the sweetness of the salted caramel elements. This is certainly a filling doughnut, and I certainly don't regret buying them, but a lighter dough would have made for a much tastier experience in my opinion. These may not be perfect, but it's another great bakery idea from Tesco that's worth a try.

My rating: 4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment