Saturday 28 February 2015

Today's Review: Tesco Bubblegum Flavour Foamy Mushrooms


There's not much new in the sweet aisle of my local Tesco nowadays, but I did manage to scope out this bag of bubblegum flavoured mushrooms. The bag says it's new, it's new to me, so it didn't take much convincing. Foam mushrooms are a pick 'n' mix standard, but they are admittedly a little bland. Perhaps a bubblegum injection would brighten these sweets up for me.

These are, in fact, identical to the classic mushroom sweets in texture. Soft, foamy and chewy, it's a good form for a sweet to be in, it doesn't get stuck in your teeth, and hangs around long enough for you to appreciate the flavour. So in a way it's good that the flavour is here in buckets. It's a very strong, decisively bubblegum flavour. Not that I'm sure what bubblegum flavour is exactly, but these definitely are. Unfortunately, it's a little too overpowering for me, overwhelming the tastebuds at first, and sticking around a bit too long afterwards, giving a bit of a sickly feeling. Still, it is a nice, bold flavour, and one that's on par with perhaps my favourite pick 'n' mix sweet, the fizzy bubblegum bottle. These mushrooms are a good twist on the original, and while they're not perfect, they're worth picking up.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment