Sunday 4 October 2015

Today's Review: Ben & Jerry's Save Our Swirled


Ever since this seeing this tweet the other day I have been impatiently waiting, hoping for a glimpse at the Cinnamon Buns Ben & Jerry's on the shelves during my next supermarket visit. Just the other day in Tesco I found the flavour on the left, and my hopes were raised, only to be dashed to the ground after a quick glance at the other flavours on offer. So no, no Cinnamon Buns yet, but this Save Our Swirled is also a new flavour, so I was still pretty excited to try it out. It didn't seem too interesting, but it certainly had enough different about it to make me want to pick it up. It consists of raspberry ice cream, with marshmallow, raspberry and blackberry swirls, and embedded with chocolate cones. It's also aptly named to bring awareness to climate change, so that's a nice touch, in keeping with Ben & Jerry's caring nature.

This is nice, in fact it's very nice. The raspberry ice cream may not carry the boldest flavour, but it's certainly a creamy and fruity ones, and it is helped along tremendously by the fruity swirls that wind their way through it. The raspberry swirls are good, but when I caught a taste of the blackberry it was even better. As for the marshmallow, I can't say I tasted it all that much. It's likely the bold, dark fruity flavours block it out to some extent, but I can't say I noticed the texture of the ice cream change much either. The chocolate cones are certainly a nice touch though. They're similar in size to the Phish Food fish, but these ones consist of a dark chocolate cone with a white chocolate tip, so it's really the best of both worlds between the Phish and Baked Alaska. This may not be up there with the greats, but this is a good tub of ice cream, well deserving of the Ben & Jerry's name. It's a creamy, fruity, chocolatey treat, and well worth picking up.

My rating: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. This is a very good flavor. The rasperry ice cream blends well with the runny marshmallow swirls. It's also not too sweet, like Satisfy My Bowl for example, which made my fillings pop out of my teeth. The only thing that I would change are the chocolate bits, because there's too many of them in there. I wouldn't mind a pint without them. Just the raspberry ice cream and blackberry & marshmallow swirls would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete