Friday 2 October 2015

Today's Review: Tesco Strawberry Cheesecake Doughnuts


Tesco sure do love to introduce new bakery products, especially of the doughnut variety. Yesterday I stumbled upon these strawberry cheesecake doughnuts, which were sitting alongside some new chocolate brownie doughnuts as well. These consist of a star shaped doughnut, topped with pink frosting and some bobbly bits for good measure. The innards are the selling point here though, a "gooey cheesecake filling". I wasn't sure quite how that would turn out, but note it doesn't say "cheesecake flavoured". Yes, the filling actually contains soft cheese and strawberry concentrate, so it looked like these weren't going to be so bad after all.

In fact, it turns out they're alright... Just alright though. I'm not sure what went wrong, but despite the filling containing proper cheesecake ingredients, it doesn't taste a whole lot like cheesecake. It has a weird caramel colour, and just tastes a bit sweet. Perhaps the consistency was a bit off and my taste buds weren't having it, or perhaps there's a bit too much dough and frosting to allow the flavour to come through, but either way I didn't get that cheesecake hit I was hoping for. It's still an alright filling, and it does well to provide a bit of moisture to the dough, but it's nothing special. The doughnut itself is pretty nice though, quite soft, and the topping is generously applied, giving a nice sugary kick, and the "butter crisps" on top add a little bit of a crunch. But I can't say I was overwhelmed. These doughnuts are just pretty average. Hopefully the chocolate brownie ones will fare better with me.

My rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment