Saturday 24 October 2015

Today's Review: Starbucks Hot Mulled Fruits


During my visit to Starbucks to try out the red cups coming this year, I was also offered a sample of the new hot mulled fruit drinks that are available in stores now. Pretty much a non-alcoholic take on mulled wine, these come in two flavours: apple and grape.

I was intrigued by these as soon as I heard about them last week, so I was more than happy to try them out. The first one I went for was the apple, and I was pleasantly surprised. It has a great, bold, fruity flavour, and it's also infused with cinnamon. The spice is quite intense, which may be off putting to some, but it was pretty good for me. Apparently the full size is finished off with a slice of apple as well, which may help to balance the flavour, but I certainly found this sample size to my liking. The only thing I would say is that it's quite heavy on the syrup, which made it a little sickly, but not too much so. I was assured that less syrup can always be requested though, so maybe that's the way to go.

The grape variety is a smoother experience. Again it has a bold fruit taste, a lovely grape flavour with just a hint of chai spice. It's not quite as intense as the apple, which may be a good thing to some, but to me it tasted just a little bland. There could have been more of a kick to it, or perhaps a bit more syrup to add more fruitiness. It's still a good drink, and apparently the full version is finished with a slice of orange and a cinnamon stick, so that could well add a little bit extra.

I really did enjoy these hot mulled fruit drinks. They're warm and fruity, and would work very nicely to warm you up on a winter's day. Sure, they're not perfect, but I'm definitely tempted to pick up a couple over the coming months.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment