Wednesday 19 February 2014

Today's Review: Tesco Finest Belgian Dark Chocolate Cake


Less a chocolate cake and more a work of art, I couldn't resist picking up one of these little goodies today at the reduced price of 38p. The cake itself is pretty small, but it certainly packs enough in, with a whopping 442 calories per quarter. It's not surprising when you find out what this is made of: Moist chocolate sponge with layers of chocolate ganache, and a pocket of salted caramel in the middle. All polished off with "gold sparkle". I'm not sure of the nutritional content of gold sparkle, but that wasn't going to stop me devouring this beautiful cake.

The good thing is, it tastes as good as it looks. There may be a bit too much ganache for some people, but I always prefer a nice sickly lump of cake with a high ratio of icing to sponge. It's a creamy, delicious treat, with a lovely hint of salted caramel buried deep within, and whatever sponge I did taste was certainly moist and flavoursome. There may not be enough here to justify the original price, but despite its small size, this is certainly a filling and delicious cake.

My rating: 5/5

3 comments:

  1. Noooooooo I was so close to buying this but I didn't see a price label anywhere near :(
    Great to see that it's a ganache opposed to buttercream icing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Upon closer inspection of the reduced label, this is £2.50 full price. So perhaps it is worth it...

      Delete