Tuesday 18 August 2015

Today's Review: Dad's Old Fashioned Root Beer


I popped into an import sweet shop the other day, and while I was certainly looking for treats to eat, I was also quite thirsty. The drink selection boasted a few I'd tried before, and most importantly one I hadn't. I don't know how it's taken me this long to try a can of root beer, I have long known it to be an American institution, and a keen dispatcher of pirate ghosts. So with a thirst that I needed quenched, there was no better time to try a can of Dad's.

This certainly wasn't what I was expecting. I didn't think it was going to be overly sweet, it's made from roots and has "beer" in the title. But I wasn't expecting it to taste like TCP. Have you ever opened up a tube of Deep Heat and thought "You know what? I'd really like to eat this"? Perhaps you have, and I can tell you now that this is the drink for you. It's a very bitter and... clinical flavour, and while I certainly hated the first couple of sips I must say that it grew on me a little. The drink itself was cool and refreshing, and once my taste buds normalised the medicinal flavour I felt myself being quite refreshed. Sure, it's not going to beat out any regular sweet soda in my books, and it's not particularly nice by any means, but it's certainly an experience I'd encourage anyone to try. This is the best soft drink that tastes like plasters that money can buy.

My rating: 2/5


No comments:

Post a Comment