Sunday 20 March 2016

Today's Review: Tesco Citrus & Blueberry Filled Hot Cross Buns


I reviewed Tesco's chocolate and toffee filled hot cross buns last week, and found them to be very nice indeed. There were none of their fruity counterparts available at that time, a fact which I lamented, but I finally found a packet the other day. I'm always fond of a bit of blueberry, and the citrus element thrown in intrigued me as well, but did these live up to the expectation?

While the chocolate and toffee variety had a nice, thick sauce running throughout, these were more like a jam doughnut. The filling seemed to be concentrated in one place, and leaking out of the sides in a couple of places. It's a nice enough filling though, definitely blueberry, though I was expecting something a bit more runny than the jam-like texture in these. As for the citrus, I couldn't really detect it at all, perhaps they should have just labelled these as blueberry, that probably would have been enough to sell it to me. The bun itself is the usual Tesco offering, soft with a generous smattering of raisins. In these buns though, the filling didn't seem to be quite enough to offset the slight stodginess of the dough. The chocolate and toffee did a great job of providing a nice, sweet bit of moisture, but this one was somewhat dry. The fruity bits were good, but not as good as they could have been. I was looking forward to these, and wound up feeling somewhat disappointed. In future I think I'll stick with the naughtier stuff.

My rating: 3/5


No comments:

Post a Comment