Tuesday 8 March 2016

Today's Review: Tyrrell's English Barbecue Crisps


There's a bargain store in my town that stocks various foreign foodstuffs and almost-but-not-quite-out-of-date delicacies. I often go in there and find big bags of crisps in flavour I've never seen before. This is one of those bags, Tyrrell's English barbecue. Now, barbecue crisps are definitely a thing, but I'm not sure what the nationality has to do with it. I was thinking they were trying to encapsulate the real flavour of an English barbecue, and was prepared for crisps that taste like rain and disappointment.

Fortunately, they don't, although I'm sure that would be interesting. Instead these taste like a more generic barbecue flavour. There's a nice, smoky base that's built upon with a lovely sweetness with just a hint of spice. There are all good natural ingredients in there, which is definitely noticeable in the taste. I've never been too on board with barbecue crisps, what exactly is the flavour supposed to be? Why do I want to eat a barbecue? In that respect, these crisps aren't perfect, I still feel they could have another element to make them more interesting. But as a specifically barbecue themed crisp, these are very good. A great proportion of smoky, spicy and sweet flavours, if barbecues tasted like this I'd be licking them all the time.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment