Monday 20 June 2016

Today's Review: Tyrrell's My Sweet Potato Coconut & Lime


I love sweet potato crisps, and it's great that they're being released in more flavours. The go to at the moment seems to be chilli, which is right up my street, but I couldn't help but be intrigued by this bag when I spotted it the other day. Being a coconut convert, I was interested to see if I'd still like it when it was smothered on sweet potato crisps. 

I'll start off with the quality of the crisps themselves, but these are Tyrrell's, so it's probably clear that these are very good. A great, crunchy crisp, with an undeniable sweetness provided by the sweet potato. The flavouring on top, however, may be a little too much. The coconut is pretty much the first noticeable element, and it doesn't let up for the duration of eating. It's presented in quite a powdery form, and it's very bold and sweet, dominating the rest of the flavour for the majority of the time. There is a hint of lime that shines through, and the sweet potato flavour does quite well to stand out some of the time, but the strength of the coconut flavour didn't really do it for me. If it was less pronounced and allowed for a balance of flavours, it would be much better. But as it stands this is a bag of crisps that has a great idea, but is slightly flawed in its execution. I still finished the whole bag, mind you, I just didn't enjoy them as much as I thought I would.

My rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment