Friday 10 June 2016

Today's Review: Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie 'Wich


I found it! It's been a long road to getting my hands on one of these bad boys. I reviewed the Cookie Dough 'Wich three entire months ago, and found out pretty soon after that a chocolate fudge brownie one was also available. I looked everywhere, but to no avail. I gave up hope, until eventually I found a glimmer of hope in a review posted by Amy a couple of weeks back. Tesco Express was the answer, but apparently it wasn't a consistent answer, as most of the ones around me were devoid of anything remotely 'Wich like. I did, however, find a label for the fudge brownie variety at the Tesco Express nearest to me, but with no stock in sight. Thankfully, I used to work there, so I told them to hurry up and order me some already, and it paid off tonight as I finally held it in my hand. Yes, I realise my finger looks broken in that picture, but I assure you my need for ice cream didn't outweigh my need for medical attention, 'tis merely an illusion.

So enough of the back story, let's talk about the 'Wich. It's much like the other 'Wiches (I assume that's the plural), a hunk of Ben & Jerry's ice cream sandwiched between two cookies. It's just in this case, every part of it is chocolatey. Double chocolate chip cookies. Chocolate ice cream with chocolate brownie chunks in. It sounded heavenly, hence my overwhelming desire to get my hands on it, and when I bit into it this evening I was... Slightly disappointed?

Surely not? I know, I'm as dumbfounded as you are. I'm not saying this is a bad ice cream, quite the opposite, it's very good, but I can't say it's had as profound an effect on me as the original 'Wich and the recently released cookie dough version. I think the problem is that it's, dare I say, a little too chocolatey. The ice cream is great, Ben & Jerry can do chocolate ice cream, we know that. But the cookies, while certainly chocolatey, are a little rich, and having two slightly different levels of chocolate packed together, there's a slight imbalance. The brownie pieces, while adding more chocolate goodness, get lost a little in the texture and slightly darker taste of the cookies, so really the balance just seems a little off.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to be buying more of these. But they don't quite reach the lofty heights of the more vanilla varieties of 'Wich. Still a great ice cream though.

My rating: 4/5



No comments:

Post a Comment