Sunday 26 June 2016

Today's Review: Dum Dum Donutterie Zebra Cronut


I decided to check out the market that pops up on my high street at the weekend, and stumbled upon a stall selling some pretty good looking donuts. Not just donuts either, cronuts too! The stall belonged to Dum Dum Donutterie, a shop that's based in Brick Lane, but has made its way in smaller form to my home town. Now, I could have gone for the more traditional donut for a start, but the draw of the cronut was too much. There was a Nutella filled one on offer, but I couldn't help but be fascinated with this zebra cronut, layers of croissant and chocolate croissant, filled with chocolate cream, and topped with chocolate ganache and chocolate shavings. Basically, a whole lot of chocolate.


Yup, it's a lot of chocolate, and it's some good quality stuff. That chocolate cream in the middle is divine, smooth, light and creamy, and the shavings on top are a great mix of milk and white. The pastry is wonderfully layered, and while it is a little dry towards the edges, it's soft and not too crumbly, so I managed to get most of this thing in my mouth without making a mess. Towards the middle where the cream resides is a great combination of flavours with just enough moisture to make one very nice cronut.  I guess the chocolate ganache could have been laid on a bit thicker to prevent that little bit of dryness, but I can't complain too much, this is still good stuff. I'll be sure to visit again to try out the other varieties on offer, and I'm pretty tempted to pop up to the main shop to get one of those amazing looking giant donuts. Might need to take a few friends along for that one though.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment