Tuesday 28 June 2016

Today's Review: Asda Carrot Cake Puds


Carrot cake cravings are only natural, but what do you do when you don't want to buy an entire one, or if you prefer to have it contained in a single serving size dessert pot? Asda have you covered with these carrot cake puds. Tesco have wandered into this territory before with a carrot cake yoghurt, but this one seems to offer a more authentic experience. It consists of a spiced carrot compote, spice cake pieces and a cream cheese flavoured mousse. Like a carrot cake in a cup, right?

I made a bit of a mistake with eating the first pot. I figured just dipping through all the layers with my spoon would serve me well, but having them all lined up in a row means I isolated the taste of each layer, and overall its wasn't a fantastic experience. While the mousse is lovely and smooth, with a pretty authentic cream cheese flavour, it felt like there was too much of it compared to the other elements. But the compote, it seemed, was way too strong, providing a spice that I didn't quite enjoy. 

All was forgiven with my second pot though, when I decided to get in there and stir it all up before digging in. It made a world of difference. The majority is still the cream cheese mousse, but mixing in the compote gave it an overall carrot cake flavour rather than a concentrated, slightly unpleasant one on the end. The cake pieces are nice and soft, and add in an extra bit of spice, but there isn't a whole lot of it. This still gives a nice carrot cake experience, but it could have done with a bit less mousse and a bit more cake. A good effort from Asda, just make sure you mix it up before digging in.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment