Tuesday 10 July 2012

Today's Review: Facebook's "Close Friends" Feature

When I logged onto Facebook a little while back and saw a banner advertising the new close friends feature, I reacted as I do with most of these things. I read it and immediately ignored it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these people who moans at every single change of Facebook, I've been through pretty much all of them and I've learned to live with it. This just didn't interest me in the slightest.

But then my Facebook decided to say "Hey, you know that feature you haven't activated yet? Well, let me activate it for you. Have a notification every time this random selection of your friends posts a status. In fact, a simple notification isn't enough, we'll push it to you on your iPhone."

Gee, thanks Facebook. I don't know how you chose this selection of people. They are people I actually talk to though, so I guess that's a plus. It's just that I never asked for any of this. When I go into my "Close Friends" list it's actually empty, as I intend to keep it. So why am I getting notifications? Are you broken, or are you just intrusive and obnoxious? Nowadays I'd probably go for the latter. Sure, it's a nice feature for those that need it, those who accrue hundreds of friends for the sake of it and want to be able to pick the interesting ones out from a sea of morons. But I don't need that. So stop sending me shit.

My rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment